OPEN DATA REPUBLIC OF KOSOVA
The opendata.rks-gov.net portal is the govermental catalog of metadata relating to data released in an open format by Kosovo public administrations. The Portal is promoted by the Kosovo Government and managed by the Agency of Information Society - Ministry of Public Administration.
1.0 Functions of the Agency
1. Agency shall exercise the following duties and responsibilities:
- 1.1. proposes and coordinates all policies related to information and communication technology in institutions of the Republic of Kosovo;
- 1.2. drafts and ensures the implementation of strategy for electronic governance and relevant action plan, for approval at the Government;
- 1.3. manages and supervises the implementation of the projects related to information technology in institutions of the Republic of Kosovo.
2. Agency shall support the development of information technology, promote the investment in the field of information society, the development of training systems in information technology and shall do the coordination, management and supervision of processes and mechanisms of electronic governance in the following areas:
- 2.1. ICT infrastructure for institutions of the Republic of Kosovo and increase of the level of IT use;
- 2.2. expansion of internet services and content of internet in institutions of the Republic of Kosovo;
- 2.3. accumulation, administration, dissemination and storage of data by creating the State Data Electronic Centre;
- 2.4. security and protection of electronic communication infrastructure and data;
- 2.5. according to the needs assist relevant institutions in combating cyber-crime;
- 2.6. attend to the management and maintenance of intellectual property and rights related to data bases and software, which are the property of the state;
- 2.7. ensure protection of personal data in electronic form in accordance with the legislation into force;
- 2.8. facilitate the access to public information in electronic form;
- 2.9. in cooperation with KIPA make the identification of Information Society electronic training needs for employees of institutions of the Republic of Kosovo.
2.0 Technical features
Kosovo Government Open Data Platform has been developed with CKAN Platform on Ubuntu with docker. The installed version of CKAN is 2.7.4.
CKAN is the world’s leading open-source data portal platform.
CKAN is a complete out-of-the-box software solution that makes data accessible and usable – by providing tools to streamline publishing, sharing, finding and using data (including storage of data and provision of robust data APIs). CKAN is aimed at data publishers (national and regional governments, companies and organizations) wanting to make their data open and available.
CKAN is used by governments and user groups worldwide and powers a variety of official and community data portals including portals for local, national and international government, such as the UK’s data.gov.uk and the European Union’s publicdata.eu, the Brazilian dados.gov.br, Dutch and Netherland government portals, as well as city and municipal sites in the US, UK, Argentina, Finland and elsewhere.
CKAN extensions have been installed:
scheming (open license): This extension provides a way to configure and share CKAN schemas using a JSON schema description.
fluent (open license): This extension provides a way to store and return multi-language fields in CKAN datasets, resources, and organizations.
officedocs (open license): Functionality for previewing Microsoft Office documents.
pdfview (open license): Functionality for previewing pdfs.
googleanalytic (open license): extension to integrate Google Analytics data into CKAN.
ckanext-hierarchy (open license): Provides a new field on the organization edit form to select a parent organization.